Our profile feature takes a look at some of the global professionals working across performance marketing, shedding light on the varying roles and companies across the flourishing industry. This week we head to Chicago, to meet Ben Meyer.
Job title and company:
Email marketing specialist and campaign coordinator, cleverbridge.
In one sentence, how would you describe what the company does?
Cleverbridge is a proven leader in e-commerce technology, services and expertise for global software and cloud companies that serve consumers and businesses. For more than 300 clients – including Avira, Corel, Dell, Malwarebytes and Parallels – cleverbridge is a true extension of their teams, understanding each client’s billing models, markets, channels and specific e-commerce requirements.
What are the company’s unique selling points?
Cleverbridge was founded by experts with decades of experience in the e-commerce industry. Our laser focus on software and cloud companies has resulted in unmatched expertise that addresses the unique needs of this complex market.
The cloud-based cleverbridge platform offers exceptional flexibility and robust capability to increase online sales while streamlining clients’ internal processes.
As companies continue to realise the vast opportunities and challenges of serving a global customer base, cleverbridge’s extensive localisation capabilities are extremely valuable to account for differences in distinct markets and correctly adapt clients’ sales efforts to local needs.
Within the last six months/year, what stands out as the company’s major milestones?
- In 2014, we transacted more than USD $536 million through our platform with over one million transactions per month.
- Expanded worldwide to more than 280 employees among our Cologne (Germany), Chicago, San Francisco and Tokyo locations.
- IDC named cleverbridge a ‘leader’ in the digital commerce applications market, based on product functionality, future road map strategy, innovation and pace of productivity in research and development, growth strategy execution, and customer service.
- Announced a strategic partnership with global cross-channel digital marketing provider ExactTarget. The seamless integration between the ExactTarget email marketing solution and the cleverbridge e-commerce platform enables clients to more effectively create, deploy and track promotional and transactional emails based on customer data.
- With software companies continuing to tap into the benefits of cloud-based delivery models and recurring revenue streams with subscriptions, more are turning to our advanced CLM and subscription capabilities to manage the new complexities.
Duration in current role:
I have been with cleverbridge for almost four years, now with a focus on email marketing.
Where are you based?
The beautiful city of Chicago.
Previous performance marketing-related companies you have worked at:
I am lucky to say that I have been with cleverbridge since the start my career.
What are your main job responsibilities?
I oversee the email marketing services on behalf of cleverbridge clients. I focus mainly on the business development and strategy for a full-feature email program. This means creating marketing roadmaps that drive client revenue through the email marketing channel.
Take us through what you get up to on a typical working Monday:
A typical Monday starts off with viewing what the deliverability scores are for our clients. If there is a dip in the score, then we will work to correct the issue. Mondays mean reporting! Every Monday we start running reports from the previous week to see how our campaigns are performing. This is the type of stuff an online marketer comes to work for; to see how their campaigns are performing and what can I do to improve them.
What top three websites can you be found browsing during your lunch hour?
Engaget.com, Adweek.com and hypem.com.
What are your top three tips for someone looking to get their hands on a job like yours?
- Work on your organisational and attention to detail skills – The work you are doing is customer facing and email marketing helps build a brand. You don’t want to send an email with a mistake and have that be associated to that brand.
- Be passionate – There are many moving parts to a successful email program. You will have the opportunity to work on all big aspects of an email production.
- Set goals – Keep striving to accomplish goals. Understanding your personal and business goals will help you align yourself to become successful in your career.
Career-wise, where do you see yourself in three years’ time?
I see myself being in more of a director role that helps our clients grow in all online marketing channels.
Tell us one thing people at work don’t know about you?
I am pretty fierce Mario Kart player!