Our ‘Profile: A Day in the Life of’ feature takes a look at some of the global professionals working across performance marketing. It aims to shed light on the varying roles and companies across the flourishing industry.
Job title and company:
Marketing Services Manager, cleverbridge
How would you describe what the company does?
Cleverbridge is a global full-service e-commerce provider for B2C and B2B companies that sell software and SaaS. We offer worldwide online transaction processing, real-time sales reporting, complete checkout process customisation, partner and affiliate management, fully-integrated multivariate testing capabilities, robust marketing tools, multilingual order support and premier fraud protection.
What are the company’s unique selling points?
Cleverbridge provides robust, flexible and easy-to-use technology that is tailored to client needs. We have become a true extension of client teams – understanding their markets, channels and unique e-commerce requirements. With a retention rate of 99.8% over the past nine years, we know clients count on our extensive expertise for ongoing technical and consultative support to grow their business.
Within the last six months/year, what stands out as the company’s major milestones?
- In 2013, we transacted approximately $450 million through our platform with nearly one million transactions per month.
- Opened an office in San Francisco and expanded worldwide to nearly 250 employees among our Cologne, Germany, Chicago, San Francisco, and Tokyo locations.
- Cleverbridge was positioned in Gartner’s 2013 ‘Magic Quadrant for E-Commerce’ based on completeness of vision and ability to execute in delivering an integrated digital customer experience.
- Successful evolving to serve more B2B and enterprise clients and supporting increasingly complex recurring revenue (or subscription) billing models
Duration in current role:
I have been with cleverbridge for almost six years and in my current role for over three years.
Where are you based?
I am based out of the cleverbridge Chicago office.
Previous performance marketing-related Co's you have worked at:
I have over a decade of online marketing experience. I managed SEM/PPC for Norvax, an insurance lead aggregator based in Chicago. I also worked for Adteractive in San Francisco, helping build their online marketing verticals for insurance and mortgage lead generation.
What are your main job responsibilities?
I oversee the cleverbridge email and affiliate marketing services for clients. My team and I ensure our clients understand and comply with all regional marketing laws such as CAN-SPAM and Safe Harbor. We also strategise with clients and implement new marketing programmes, such as drip marketing and effective affiliate marketing to engage new advertisers. Essentially, we work with clients to increase sales through affiliate and email marketing channels.
Take us through what you get up to on a typical working Monday:
When working with a German parent company, there is no such thing as a typical Monday. My inbox starts loading up at 1am on Monday morning. When my eyes open at 5am, they are checking emails to see if there are any pressing or urgent matters from Germany. Online marketing is a volatile environment - things break and affiliates have issues, so no Monday is ever the same as the previous one. On an average Monday, we are typically addressing any issues that occurred over the weekend.
What top three websites can you be found browsing during your lunch hour?
What are your top three tips for someone looking to get their hands on a job like yours?
- First, I wouldn't call it a job - it’s a career and it takes vision. You need to understand and gauge the opportunity within the vertical to understand the steps you need to take to become a manager, director and eventually a VP/entrepreneur.
- Be patient – Much like any career, there is a period of apprenticeship where you need to learn the business of online marketing and how large these online verticals truly are.
- Show ambition – You need to be hungry and have the ability to solve problems for people they didn’t know they had.
Career-wise, where do you see yourself in three years time?
Continuing to help grow cleverbridge into the company I know it has the capacity to be.
Tell us one thing people at work don’t know about you?
I am a classically trained pianist with 13 years of experience. I gave up playing piano when I was attending college to pursue my degree in finance.
Did you catch some of the other profiles on PI?