INside Performance Marketing
PMI is Next Week – Join Us The only two-day event for affiliate marketing, lead gen and biddable media Book your ticket now
European online ad market tops €20bn

European online ad market tops €20bn

Europe’s online advertising market grew 14.5% year-on-year to a market value of €20.9bn. Figures from the IAB Europe’s annual AdEx Benchmark survey weren’t so rosy for the overall European advertising market, which - excluding online - only grew 0.8% during the same period.

The IAB report is deemed the definitive guide to the state of the European online advertising market. It shows individual market growth to range from 55.5% in Russia and 46% in Serbia, to 5.5% in Norway and 4.6% in Romania. Central and Eastern Europe markets increased their share of the total from 10.1% in 2010 to 11.8% last year.

IAB Europe online ad graph

Russia has benefited from a particularly surging search sector. It’s now the sixth biggest market with a value of €1.12bn. Unsurprisingly, the top five markets are the UK, Germany, France, Italy and the Netherlands. They account for close to 67.9% of the total online advertising market, down slightly from 69.2% in 2011.

Online advertising’s differing formats all seem to fare quite well. ROI-centric search enjoyed the highest growth rate of 17.9% in 2011. Video represented 8.2% of the total online display market value across the 14 regions measured. In the UK, the video ads market is worth €126m. Mobile’s fledgling format contributed 1-3% of online Display ad spend. The average growth rate for both 2010 and 2011 was 45.6% across the nine markets reported on in the survey.

Alain Heureux, President and CEO of IAB Europe, puts the rapid rise of the sector down to innovation and diversity. “Innovation and diversity have driven the outstanding growth of the European online advertising sector, which now accounts for over 20% of total advertising spend,” he concludes.

Want to discover how performance marketing strategies compare in other countries? If you do, you'll definitely want to attend A4u's next event, a4uexpo Europe. The two-day conference takes place in Barcelona on the 19th and 20th of June. It features over 40 sessions from the industry's leading brands and over 1000 delegates from more than 30 countries. With a continuous pan-European undercurrent, you'll be able to discover first-hand how to make big gains in performance marketing beyond your own territory. Registration is now open for publishers, advertisers, networks and agencies, and you will receive a discount of up to 30% on group bookings.

Simon Holland

Simon Holland

Simon is the news and research reporter at Existem. Previously a technology journalist, he now spends his time investigating both future and developing trends in performance marketing whilst producing editorial content for

Read more from Simon

Join over 10,000 performance marketers for the ultimate weekly update on industry news