A brief glance at the news indicates a less than festive picture: some analysts believe consumer confidence increased slightly in the third quarter of 2011, but at best any improvement is fragile; the IMRG are predicting a slowing of growth in online sales as we approach the end of the year and major retailers are bracing themselves for a cut-throat Christmas as deep discounting bites.
TradeDoubler, undeterred by the prevailing climate of economic handwringing, has launched its most ambitious programme yet to make this a bumper Christmas for clients and affiliates. And after a record-breaking Christmas last year, which saw sales over the TD network in the UK increase by 19% on 2009, the bar is set high.
At TradeDoubler we pride ourselves on the strength of our client and publisher relationships. And as many of our 2000+ advertisers launch consumer offers and affiliate incentives aimed at maximising seasonal sales, we are advising both advertisers and affiliates on how they can make this a truly bumper season.
Here are our top tips for how publishers can monetise their sites:
- Develop content that is tailored around key advertiser programs – in 2010 our top performing publishers ‘decorated’ and animated their sites to drive incremental traffic to their lead programs. Affiliates should consider how they can inspire shoppers with gift finders and information about the most popular products for different groups of consumers.
- Focus on the user journey – using our market leading tracking technology we help publishers identify how they can reach consumers as they are searching for products, help them find their presents and encourage them to purchase early.
- Learn from past behaviour to maximise the opportunity of key trading dates. Last year the key trading week on our UK network was the last full week before Christmas, with 13, 14 and 15 December all falling within the top five trading days for the month. Our tracking technology enables us to help both advertisers and publishers predict sales patterns, allowing publishers to develop compelling offers to maximise revenue on such red letter days.
- Maximise cross channel promotion and use above the line advertising, targeted emails, social media and direct mail to drive customers to seasonal offers.
- In a market where everyone is looking for a deeper discount or a better bargain, publishers should develop offers that tap into the enjoyment of gift giving while not compromising the underlying need that some customers will feel for financial belt-tightening.
- Our client and publisher teams help maximise partner relationships by increasing two way communication which matches affiliate activity with advertiser promotions, helping to drive incremental revenue for both parties. So for example in the UK, Jessops, the photographic retailer, have a range of Christmas offers and cashback that will help affiliates to earn more money.
Simon Joseph, Associate Director - eCommerce, Jessops commented:
"Our Christmas programme aims to remove barriers to purchase. In the current climate we know people may find it difficult to buy expensive cameras, so we’ve introduced an interest free offering with instant online authorisation and instant immediate dispatch, which we are seeing help drive higher conversion rates. This which allows our affiliate partners to increase their earnings from our programme.
"We're committed to the affiliate channel and every year we work closely with our team at TradeDoubler over Christmas to ensure affiliates have the assets they need to promote Jessops effectively. This has led to sustained growth - it's the core of what we do and is why we have an award winning program."
Tis the season to be jolly! This Christmas at TradeDoubler we are working harder than ever to defy the harbingers of economic doom and make this a bumper festive season for all our advertisers and affiliates.
For further information please visit www.tradedoubler.com or contact Dan Cohen – firstname.lastname@example.org