About the role
We’re looking for an excellent mid/senior developer to join Genie Ventures, a fast-growing Cambridge e-commerce start-up. You’ll be our second developer so you’ll play a massively important role in shaping the future of our development team and business. Genie’s main office is central Cambridge. Our vision is to keep the dev team small but brilliant - we’re looking for coders, not managers!
What you'll be working on
Our existing systems are written on the LAMP stack using ZF1, but we use other technologies sometimes too and any new projects are likely to be built with ZF2 or Symfony 2.
As a start-up things move quickly and there’s always a lot to do, some recent projects include:
- Building a bespoke bidding platform to make the most of Google’s new Shopping Campaigns product
- Developing a user-centric price comparison process for our broadband comparison website including integration with a third party ESP
- An algorithm to split test page layouts and automatically optimise how a site displays in order to maximise revenue
- Modifying our office space marketplace website to integrate with new partner data feeds and enquiry submission APIs
Skills and requirements
- Extensive coding experience in a commercial environment
- You care about code quality and still Get Things Done as simply and elegantly as possible
- You’re a generalising specialist and PHP/MySQL are two of your areas of expertise
- You can communicate well with both technical and non-technical people and are very good at translating feature requests into sensible features
- ZF1 experience
- Good HTML/CSS/JS skills
- A decent eye for design
Genie Ventures is an ambitious internet business responsible for a network of fast-growing e-commerce sites. We are challenging the tired, standard model of CPM advertising and are masters of building and retaining traffic and turning this traffic into cash. We are market leaders with our Broadband Genie, Office Genie and Genie Goals services and are currently planning our next wave of growth.
Working for Genie Ventures is a fantastic opportunity to get involved with a successful, profitable, growing company at an early stage (we've been going six years and retain all the fun elements of a startup but with a proven record behind us). We have an entrepreneurial, target-oriented culture and a talented team and – provided you're prepared to work hard and get involved – we'll give you plenty of freedom to succeed and plenty of responsibility. We have a proven track record of making money online, we're ambitious, we want to succeed and we want the best people to join us.
For further information about Genie Ventures visit www.genieventures.co.uk and please feel free to check out some of our sites: www.broadbandgenie.co.uk | www.geniegoals.co.uk | www.officegenie.co.uk