Have an account? / Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Thread: looking for a Wordpress Widget

Thanks

looking for a Wordpress Widget

Hey everyone,

Can anyone recommend a decent widget that would change on individual pages to say relevant products for example, say it was a clothing website and they click on a page of blue socks i want the widet on the right hand side to say other popular blue socks and put pictures there but if they went to the pink socks page it would show other popular pink socks? am i making sense or talking jibberish?

Thanks
    Katy

Thanks

Re: looking for a Wordpress Widget

there are 'related posts' plug-ins which will do this in a fashion - not quite how you describe though. Some of them are more customisable than others so I suggest you do a simple search for 'related post' plug-ins and see what's available?

Thanks

Hiya

Thanks for the reply ill give that a go! its really just like the related posts but i kinda wanted it to be a related product so it would display the relevant pictures.

Katy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katy111 View Post
    Hiya

Thanks for the reply ill give that a go! its really just like the related posts but i kinda wanted it to be a related product so it would display the relevant pictures.

Katy
    Well you could always hard code it if it were just for a few posts? Just knock-up the html in dreamwever or just a blank post and drop it into a text widget. For less than say 10 it wouldn't be a big deal - more than ten and it would be a pain in the butt though.

Thanks

I made one that interacted with kelkoo that read the post title and showed products related to that, you can see it in action here:

MARC JACOBS

Admittedly, it's a bit hit and miss, but the theme is enough to get vaguely related items. Wouldn't be difficult to write it so that it got related items from your posts.
    I've left the forum to farm sheep and cattle.

Thanks

The widget logic plug-in will get you someway there. When added it adds an extra text field to sidebar widgets. In the text field you add wordpress conditional tags which tell wordpress when to show that widget.

Conditional tag examples
    is_home() // home page only
    !is_home() // not the home page
    is_page(‘blue-socks’) // page name
    is_page(array(23,35)) // using page ids

Thanks

Hey,

Thanks everyone for getting back sorry it took so long to reply Iv been checking out the suggestions and the widget logic looks kinda what i wanted the only question i have on that is if i have a big website with a lot of categories am i going to have to fill out each one e.g
    say i put it on blue socks page am i going to have to put in dont put it in pages pink socks, yellow socks,t-shirts,tops etc etc as this would be never ending, sorry for all the questions

Katy

Thanks

Amazon has a widget that will "read" your page and suggest suitable results. I wasn't a big fan so created my own where I supply my own keyword with each post which allows me to be a little more targeted, I also wanted to make it international.

tbh I find adsense the best for context sensitive links but I guess that doesn't quite match your requirement.

Thanks

Thanks Jezza will keep that in mind as it will probably come in handy thanks for the rely.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katy111 View Post
    Hey,

Thanks everyone for getting back sorry it took so long to reply Iv been checking out the suggestions and the widget logic looks kinda what i wanted the only question i have on that is if i have a big website with a lot of categories am i going to have to fill out each one e.g
    say i put it on blue socks page am i going to have to put in dont put it in pages pink socks, yellow socks,t-shirts,tops etc etc as this would be never ending, sorry for all the questions

Katy
    Best bet is just to give it try and see how it works for you. I find sometimes that I want a plug-in to do something, try it out and then find it's so much bother that I decide what I wanted to do wasn't so important after all.
    It sometimes works out the other way, but very rarely

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dc000000 For This Useful Post:

katy111 (23-02-12)

Thread Information