Have an account? / Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Thread: Why would spammers post with no URL ?

Thanks

Why would spammers post with no URL ?

Hi,

I get a lot of spam on my blog but noticed recently there is more and more where the URL field contains yahoo.com or google.com.

How are the spammers benefiting from this ?

It is defo spam as it will say things like "Excellent article, really well written" but the post is just a photo with no text at all, so they obviously havent looked at the post.

I wondered if they are testing the water and see if the comment goes on automatically, if it does they come back and add a comment with a back link.

Dave

Thanks

Re: Why would spammers post with no URL ?

Often it's because they are numpties who do not know how to properly use the automated software that they have just bought to spam you.

Other times it's because on most blogs there is the option in the admin to set it so that as soon as a person has one comment approved, they can post again at will without having to have their further comments approved. It was designed so admins can let their friends post comments without having to approve them all the time but keep spam at bay, hence if you have this option checked and approve one of the spammers posts, in the future they can post at will.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MollyHunter For This Useful Post:

theDaveB (12-08-11)

dcp
    Thanks

I agree with Molly.Spammers are trying to creates back links by hook or by crook.

Thanks

Build up 50 sig free links. Stop posting get a sig file and a profile laid out and voila! back links that are unlikely to be removed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mogga View Post
    Build up 50 sig free links. Stop posting get a sig file and a profile laid out and voila! back links that are unlikely to be removed.
    You do realise this is the WordPress forum and we are talking about WordPress ?

Thanks

some of those comments without links can actually be hackers showing off. if you disabled all comments on your blog and are still getting comment spammed, chances are your wordpress database has been hacked.

Thanks

They are just building a profile like everyone said. Or maybe they are genuinely interested in your blog ^_^

Thanks

I know this is an old thread but thought it may be useful.

The reason they use a well-known url is because once they get a comment approved, they are less-likely to trigger the spam filter next time they post, so one post to create an account, second comment to spam. If you approve the first one you will probably get bombarded.

Thanks

I've been experiencing a similar situation at our forums since couple of months. These users tend to follow the nomal procedure of registration, post replies to existing threads that seem normal as well UNTIL you check the source code. Their replies contain links with .jpeg or gif extensions which when we copy paste in the browser redirects to our competitors sites.

Now, I don't understand how would a url with an image file extension prove to be anyways beneficial for SEO. Or is it something that is slipping my mind ? Has anyone else experienced a similar issue ? Please discuss what could all this be.

Thanks

I suggest you to use Akismet plugin.It automatically blocks spam comment.

Thanks

I've seen this happen too and it's a bit weird but I always just put it down to the fact that a lot of spammers probably just don't really know what the hell they're doing.

Thanks

The spammers would make a heck of a lot more money if they did things in a professional way. Everyone i ban a spammer or not approve there comment, i laugh at them because they have no clue how to make money online or to promote there site.

I get made 1 or 2 spam comments a week because of all the security options i've added to my blog.

Thread Information