Have an account? / Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Thread: What do merchants look for

Thanks

What do merchants look for

Please can someone offer some advice on what merchants are looking for when applying to them to be an affiliate.

What sort of things should i have on my profile and what things to they dis - like.

Can people also offer advice on experiences when they have been rejected by a merchant and the reasons given.

I am registered with affiliate window and really would appreciate any advice on how to improve my profile and get accepted by merchants.

Regards guys and merry xmas.

Thanks

Re: What do merchants look for

Hi there,

My advice is to speak to AW directly for general advice on this, and for help on presenting yourself in the best way through Darwin.

Explain your business and indicate how you can add value.

They should help you on this being the network (that's part of their job!).

Good luck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gizmondouk View Post
    I am registered with affiliate window and really would appreciate any advice on how to improve my profile and get accepted by merchants.
    Just say you intend to promote offers and promotions but will only update your site once a year. Not only will you be accepted by every merchant under the sun you will also be invited to lots of fancy parties and maybe even get a few gifts.

If you think I'm being sarcastic I can assure you I'm not - try it.

/build your site for a purpose and don't worry what the teenager who approves your site thinks - the idea is to still be around when they are back in the phone shop talking about the good old days/

Thanks

Whilst it's hard to disagree with some of the above :-D here's a link to an article I found quite useful.

Tips On Completing The Darwin Profile In Affiliate Window - David Fiske Affiliate Marketing Blog
    Playr2.com - The Game Marketplace

5. The Following User Says Thank You to simonk For This Useful Post:

csn (01-02-12)

Thanks

interesting opinion of AMs/merchants/networks. why not try promoting offers with a different network.

there are many networks that claim to offer dedicated support, but as long as your not giving the brand/product concerned a bad name or taking the piss (i.e. using exact match brand domains / copying content) you should be ok
    Email: jave.singh (at) gmail (dot) com | Skype: Jave225 | Twitter: jave225

Thanks

The main thing a merchant will always see the site content if it is relevant or not. The other factors varies from merchant to merchants. The site PR, Estimated Traffic, content update etc.
    Euraff - Next-G Affiliate Software + Multiple Websites, Pipeline & Bulk Mailer.

Remote Programmer - PHP Development with Support, Since 1999

Thanks

What we look for is relevant content, the information filled during sign up is matching that with the website

Thanks

If you have any sort of site with reasonable content, that is fairly relevant to a merchant, you shouldn't have any problems. I have a motorsport site, but it shouldn't and doesn't stop me featuring gifts for women (sorry sexist !), valentines etc.

Don't assume any rejections are final. Merchants get a huge amount of dross applications - its easy to just reject by accident. The alternative is sending out emails to each affiliate to ask for further details.

If you're keen on a merchant and let them know, they'd be mad not to approve you.

Believe it or not there are also details like this on applications:

greatdeals2u dot biz (I don't know if that even exists but you get the drift).
    "We plan to promote your excellent produce in a global context through active SEO and advertising"

Certain to hit the reject button.

Thanks

I manage the eBay Partner Network which does have pretty tight criteria for acceptance, but generally we recommend including the following information for the best chance of acceptance which I think would be universally accepted as good practice:-

• Complete all elements of the application completely and honestly, clarifying any gaps with an explanation where possible
    • Make it crystal clear what your intentions are with the programme; how you will promote it and on what sites/tools etc
    • Include any details on the value you think you can add to the programme, e.g. your USP, audience, expected traffic etc.
    • If you are applying with an incomplete site, give some indications of your intentions and timescales for being ready to go live
    • Include full contact details including email and a telephone number that you actually will answer

Different programmes have varying degrees of criteria of course, but the better ones are almost certainly getting more selective as network quality becomes a bigger issue for merchants.

Hope that helps!
    Richard Wright, Senior Account Manager at R.O.EYE
    for eBay Partner Network

Thanks

Rich79

A bit o/t but do you happen to know what the sites are that are running Adwords, that go to pages with Adsense at the top and 100% Ebay links underneath ? Half of which are unrelated to the product.

Bit of a sore point actually as they seem to be transgressing every Adwords guideline in the book.
    The same sites run the same ad. for loads of different products as well - generally some standard "% OFF" each product.

(Only I thought the "Buy pickled green peppers at Ebay" adverts had disappeared quite some time ago ;-)

Thanks

as far as we are concerned, we look for a half decent site that doesn't contravene our T&C's and is topical as a starting point but it helps if you briefly explain how you intend on promoting the programme.

following this, it's helpful if affiliates respond to all emails, atleast the ones written explicitly for them - I'd be likelier to respond when asked for a voucher or some content if I know the affiliate has been responsive to me in the past.

Thread Information