Have an account? / Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Thread: Google ads interesting -

Thanks

Google ads interesting -

I might have been living on a different planet recently but to me it's new - google ads are Behavioral targeting - so they know what stuff I've been looking at this morning when I ended up on youtube.

Have they been doing it long?

Thanks

Re: Google ads interesting -

They've been running it in different forms for at least a couple of years - Official Google Blog: Making ads more interesting

They've made it available to everyone from last month - Google Rolls Out Behavioral Targeting To All AdWords Advertisers

But you would more than likely have noticed it over a longer time than that... seomoz ads seem to be following me around wherever I go for ages... they must have been part of the beta testing stuff I guess.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyCash For This Useful Post:

Mogga (21-07-11)

Thanks

A good while yes. They first started in retargetting with Doubleclick's Boomerang service about 2 years ago. I think they rolled it out on to Adwords last year but I'm sure someone can tell you precisely.

It's now being picked up more and more by advertisers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCash View Post

But you would more than likely have noticed it over a longer time than that... seomoz ads seem to be following me around wherever I go for ages... they must have been part of the beta testing stuff I guess.

Maybe I've been ad-blind for a while. The main sites I've noticed ads on have all been vaguely reasonably well on target for the type of site it's been.
    Today on youtube was bizarre - seeing ads for solar panels on a song...

Thanks

With an emphasis now also seemingly being placed on Social factors (i.e. Google+, twiter, facebook, sharing etc) it is only a matter of time before you see ads targetted not only on your behaviour, but also on your interests and social interactions.

It is no surprise that Google filed a patent for using behavourial data to influence search results (just after Panda) - details here:

How Google Might Rank Pages Based upon Usage Information

I think with the emergance of Google+ Google is making some fundamental changes to how a sites worth or pecieved value to the end user is evaluated.

Very interesting stuff IMO and really brings home the power of Goolge+ if they manage to break FBs strangle hold on the socialsphere (is that even a word? lol)
    Affiliatetuts - Affiliate based tutorials, code snippets and articles
    http://www.facebook.com/affiliatetuts

7. The Following User Says Thank You to paraleadogg For This Useful Post:

Mogga (22-07-11)

Thanks

You can already target people based on their interests What are interest categories? - AdWords Help. You can see which categories Google thinks you fit in to here Google Ads Preferences
    Last edited by heartinternet; 22-07-11 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Additional link added
    Heart Internet UK Web Hosting
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated Servers | Domain names
    Click here to join our Affiliate program

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by heartinternet View Post
    You can already target people based on their interests What are interest categories? - AdWords Help. You can see which categories Google thinks you fit in to here Google Ads Preferences
    Of course - but what Google+ will do is give a level of detail and refinement not available in the past.

For example show my ads to males, aged 18 - 25, who live in Manchester and like Oldham Atthletic (not a large demographic I imagine but you get the idea)

This has always been facebooks appeal - but their lower CTR (in comaprison with adwords) has meant it has always been a trade off.

Adding this level of targetting to Google Adwords however could be very very attractive to advertisers IMO

I think this ability to target demographics much more closely is what makes Google+ and Panda really exciting from an affiliates point of view
    Affiliatetuts - Affiliate based tutorials, code snippets and articles
    http://www.facebook.com/affiliatetuts

10. The Following User Says Thank You to paraleadogg For This Useful Post:

Mogga (22-07-11)

Thread Information