Have an account? / Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What makes a good account manager?

Thanks

What makes a good account manager?

I am probably going to regret this post and as I type and I am trying to remember if I promised something to an affiliate and not delivered it, hope not.

I just wanted to get opinions from affiliates.

What makes a good account manager?

Now there are some great people involved in this industry who do work hard and go above and beyond the call of duty but that’s not always possible. Affiliates can sometimes be difficult to manager, what is good for one isn’t good for another and trying to find that out can get you in all sorts of trouble. When I first started I emailed an affiliate to introduce myself and the response was basically how dare you, do you know who I am !! You then get other affiliates who complain we don’t email them enough or we post vouchers on the forum or we don’t post vouchers on the forum, you can’t win.

I would like to understand what separates affiliate/agency/network mangers and why affiliates lean towards one more than the other.

Bare in mind there are restrictions placed on us from clients and we can’t always get bespoke codes for every affiliate and increase your commission, or just go around giving you free stuff. Please don’t say I like X more than Y as they give me voucher codes. Each programme is different.

I am not asking for names here so just a general discussion as to what makes a good account manager.

Thanks.
    Daniel Austin/R.O.EYE/T: 0161 228 1228/F: 0161 228 0448/E/MSN: Daniel@ro-eye.co.uk Check out my blog Kinky Afro or follow me HERE

Online shopping rocks! accelerator's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: What makes a good account manager?

Providing near ready to go content is good. Stuff that we can copy and paste almost directly onto our blog goes down well.

Marking themselves out from the crowd. Any communication needs some element of novelty to get noticed amongst the hundreds of e-mails affiliates receive each day.

Rgds

Thanks

Knowing what affiliates need and getting it to them promptly in the format they like.

Anything that makes my life easier. Free unique content is always welcome. Ready made links so I can just cut and paste.

email/forum/msn/post

An affiliate manager who looks after the best interests of affiliates [1] ... so someone who watches out for merchants sneaking phone numbers on to the site or dropping tracking...

[1] Else you'd be a merchant manager?

Thanks

3 things ,communication, communication and communication ..

Oh and at least pretend you care

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lawcom For This Useful Post:

DanielAustin (21-06-09)

Thanks

Someone is chasing the award already get back to making the tea mate, or your shoulder will never heal from underuse
    Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up. Fwitter

Thanks

those who get back to me when I say "let me know when this new program goes live".

those who when an answer is no or something is not yet ready, don't just ignore your email.

those that tell you when something is wrong with a program so I can pause PPC.

hopefully someone from leadpoint will take note of the above points.

Thanks

As someone who's hired and trained a plethora of account managers - passion, dedication, striving for learning and self improvement, not treating this as yet another job and, believe it or not, common sense; how you treat your merchants & affiliates and how they view you, derives from these qualities, in my opinion.
    Hero Grigoraki
    Senior Ecommerce Manager
    monster.co.uk

Thanks

Good communication. It's nice to get a quick and personal answer when you have questions.

And be quick to approve accounts.

I get fed up with a lot of the emails I get as they aren't always that relevant for the products I'm promoting, but I'm just too lazy to turn of updates :P

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    As someone who's hired and trained a plethora of account managers - passion, dedication, striving for learning and self improvement, not treating this as yet another job and, believe it or not, common sense; how you treat your merchants & affiliates and how they view you, derives from these qualities, in my opinion.
    I think this is a good point Hero as in no matter what line of work if you don't enjoy what you do and are dedicated then you have no reason to do a good job.

Good point.
    Daniel Austin/R.O.EYE/T: 0161 228 1228/F: 0161 228 0448/E/MSN: Daniel@ro-eye.co.uk Check out my blog Kinky Afro or follow me HERE

Thanks

Someone who spots affiliate opportunities & contacts affiliates advising them how to go about.
    Also the general stuff...regular updates, contactable, responsive, passionate about the industry, and general knowledge of their clients.

By the way, I think I owe you quite a few pints for your help over the past few months mate!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TomSmith For This Useful Post:

DanielAustin (22-06-09)

Thanks

A thick skin's pretty useful.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kier View Post
    A thick skin's pretty useful.
    Couldn't agree more.

Thanks

Be perceptive, so that you are aware of each particular relationship's needs, and flexible, so that you can adjust your behavior accordingly. Each affiliate relationship will be unique, to some extent, and good aff managers do their best to make everyone's life easier. For example, some affiliates love getting lots of updates, marketing suggestions, talk strategy, etc... others just want a quick email with a link, banner code, and an occasional update on new promos.

Similarly, a good affiliate manager would be someone who is constantly looking for the best "win-win" opportunities. Aff Marketing is all about sustainability; If you set up a deal that is overly beneficial to the publisher, or the advertiser, in the end it's going to break down and that means lost time and money for both parties.

Ultimately, it's all about pragmatism, fluidity and creativity. The aff marketing community is extremely dynamic, so you can not afford to be rigid or dogmatic.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sweet Louie J For This Useful Post:

DanielAustin (23-06-09), kier (22-06-09)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Louie J View Post
    Similarly, a good affiliate manager would be someone who is constantly looking for the best "win-win" opportunities. Aff Marketing is all about sustainability; If you set up a deal that is overly beneficial to the publisher, or the advertiser, in the end it's going to break down and that means lost time and money for both parties.
    Amen!:tup

Couldn't agree more and I'm glad someone brought up the advertiser in the thread. I think one of the key skills an account manager needs is to be able to strike the right balance between the needs of both advertiser and publisher.

Sometimes there are situations that involve short term pain for long term gain (unavoidable cliche) but I believe that taking a long term view for a continued and sustainably successful programme is the most beneficial for all parties; advertiser, publisher, network and agency alike.
    Richard Wright, Senior Account Manager at R.O.EYE
    for eBay Partner Network

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Rich79 For This Useful Post:

DanielAustin (23-06-09)

Thanks

Well, for what its worth I feel a good account manager is simply someone who I know is trying really hard and also someone I can see has a passion for the industry. Usually when you meet someone like that their enthusiasm is incredibly infectious and they really stick in your mind over and above the countless agency drones who seem to hate you!

To be honest, in my dealings with you i can't really think of anything more you could have done to improve your performance. So 10/10 from me!
    Please Read My Affiliate Marketing Blog. & consider joining The Affiliate Lending Team - help entrepreneurs in 3rd world countries - all the cool affiliates are doing it

20. The Following User Says Thank You to KirstyM For This Useful Post:

DanielAustin (23-06-09)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information